Fine vermicelli with vegan roast and deep-fried spring rolls. Please scroll down for recipe in English.
Bánh hỏi đạm quay chả giò chay
Hướng dẫn: Đầu bếp Võ Quốc
Chương trình: Món Ngon Việt Nam
Recipe by Chef Võ Quốc
1 large bread roll
1 silken vegan ham ("chả lụa chay" usually sold at any Vietnamese vegetarian/tofu shop in the refrigerated section)
200 grams (1.5 cups) rice flour
1 can coconut cream (about 400 ml or 13.5 fluid oz.)
1 package pre-cooked, frozen spring rolls
1 kilogram (2.2 lbs.) fine vermicelli ("bánh hỏi")
Fresh herbs (such as mint, cilantro, basil, perilla...)
Sweet and sour vegan fish sauce (pre-mixed)
1. Split bread roll and remove crumb (soft inner part).
2. Flatten bread and cut to fit the bottom of a non-stick 8x4 loaf pan.
3. Cut vegan ham into medium-thin slices (about 1/2 inch).
4. Mix 5 tablespoons coconut cream and rice flour. Slowly add 1/4 cup cool water to the mixture. Set aside 5-10 minutes; then cook over medium heat, stir well until thickened.
5. Spread sesame oil evenly on loaf pan. Place bread at the bottom.
6. Add a layer of coconut cream/rice flour mixture.
7. Add a layer of vegan ham.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7. Press down tightly to help ingredients stick together.
9. Place baking pan in a steamer. When water starts to boil, steam for about 10-15 minutes. (After frying, this will become your vegan roast.)
10. While waiting for the vegan roast, deep fry spring rolls according to package directions. (Do not thaw spring rolls prior to frying.)
11. When the steaming is done, remove from heat. Turn loaf pan upside down to remove the vegan roast. Cut into bite-sized chunks.
12. Mix 1 tablespoon each five-spice powder and sesame oil. Paste on the vegan roast for color and flavor. Sprinkle some sea salt on top.
13. Fry vegan roast until both sides are crispy.
14. Fold fine vermicelli into rolls and enjoy with vegan roast, spring rolls, fresh herbs, and pre-mixed vegan fish sauce.